The original documents were scanned as an image. The original file can be downloaded at the link above.
Sample Franchise Agreement
THIS AGREEMENT is made and entered into this____________day of______________, 2005,
by and between Sport Clips, Inc., a corporation incorporated under the laws of Texas, whose principal place of business is 110 Briarwood, Georgetown, Texas 78628 (hereinafter referred to as the
"Franchisor") and__________________________________________________with a current address
of___________________________________________, (hereinafter referred to as the "Franchisee").
WHEREAS, the Franchisor holds the exclusive franchise rights to a proprietary system which it has developed through significant expenditures of time, skill, effort and money (hereinafter the "System") relating to the establishment, development and operation of a Sport Clips retail business (hereinafter the "Franchised Business" and signifying both franchise and Franchisor-managed outlets) which offers professional haircutting and grooming services to men, women and children in a sports-oriented environment; and in conjunction therewith, offers hair care products, sports apparel and sports-related specialty items;
WHEREAS, the Franchisor has developed a distinctive exterior and interior design, decor, color scheme, fixtures and furnishings for the Franchised Business store, and has developed the uniform standards, specifications, methods, policies and procedures for the store operations, inventory and management control, training and assistance, and advertising and promotional programs, all of which may be changed, improved upon, and further developed from time to time;
WHEREAS, the Franchisor, through its dedicated operations, marketing methods, and merchandising policies, has developed the reputation, public image and good will of its System and established a firm foundation for its franchised retail operations consisting of the highest standards of training, management, supervision, appearance, services and quality of products;
WHEREAS, the System is identified by means of certain trade names, service marks, trade marks, logos, emblems and indicia of origin, including the mark Sport Clips and logo, and such other trade names, service marks, and trademarks as are now, and may hereafter be designated for use in connection with the System (the "Proprietary Marks") which Proprietary Marks are owned by Sport Clips IP, Inc. and exclusively licensed to the Franchisor, which has the exclusive right to sub-license and police the use of the System and the Proprietary Marks;
WHEREAS, the Franchisor continues to develop, expand, use, control and add to the Proprietary Marks and the System for the benefit of and exclusive use by the Franchisor and its Franchisees in order to identify for the public the source of the products and to represent the System's high standards of quality and service;
WHEREAS, the Franchisor uses a system of Area Developers and may delegate one or more of its obligations under this Agreement to an Area Developer;
WHEREAS, the Franchisee desires to operate a Franchised Business under the System and the Proprietary Marks and to obtain a license from the Franchisor for that purpose, as well as to receive the training and other assistance provided by the Franchisor in connection therewith;
WHEREAS, the Franchisee hereby acknowledges that it has read this Agreement and the Franchisor's Uniform Franchise Offering Circular, and that it has no knowledge of any representations about the Franchised Business or about the Franchisor or its franchising program or policies made by the Franchisor or by its officers, directors, shareholders, employees or agents which are contrary to the statements in the Franchisor's Uniform Franchise Offering Circular or to the terms of this Agreement, and that it understands and accepts the terms, conditions and covenants contained in this Agreement as being reasonably necessary to maintain the Franchisor's high standards of quality and service and the uniformity of those standards at all facilities which operate pursuant to the System and thereby to protect and preserve the goodwill of the Proprietary Marks; and
WHEREAS, the Franchisee understands and acknowledges the importance of the Franchisor's uniformly high standards of quality and service and the necessity of operating the Franchised Business granted hereunder in strict conformity with the Franchisor's quality control standards and specifications.
NOW, THEREFORE, the parties, in consideration of the promises, undertakings and commitments of each party to the other set forth herein, hereby mutually agree as follows:
I. GRANT OF FRANCHISE AND LOCATION
A. The Franchisor hereby grants to the Franchisee, and the Franchisee accepts,' a nonexclusive and personal license to operate one unit of the Franchised Business in strict conformity with the Franchisor's standards and specifications (which may be changed, improved and further developed from time to time) at one location (the "Location") selected by the Franchisee and as will be more particularly described in the Location Addendum attached to this Agreement as Attachment A.
B. The Franchisor hereby grants to the Franchisee, for one initial term of this Franchise Agreement, a Protected Territory that is the lesser of (i) a one-mile radius around the Location, or (ii) a radius around the Location that encompasses a total population of 25,000 people. During the initial term of this Agreement, the Franchisor shall not establish company-owned units, or license other Sport Clips franchises, within the Protected Territory.
1. After the initial term, as long as there is no default under this Agreement and all conditions for renewal are met, the Franchisee shall have a First Right of Refusal for any location within the Protected Territory. After the initial term, the Franchisor may propose to the Franchisee in writing locations within the Protected Territory for an additional Sport Clips store. The Franchisee shall have thirty (30) days upon receipt of the written notice to execute the then-current Sport Clips Franchise Agreement and execute a lease with the landlord for the proposed location. If the Franchisee does not sign a Franchise Agreement or execute a lease within the thirty (30) day period, then the Franchisor shall be permitted to grant a franchise or establish a company-owned store for that location.
2. Protected Territories for Sport Clips units may overlap one another; however, in no event shall the Franchisor allow a Sport Clips unit to be placed within the Protected Territory of an existing unit during the initial term of this Franchise Agreement.
C. The Franchisor reserves the following rights;
1. Subject to Section I.B, to establish Sport Clips franchises and company-owned stores at any site the Franchisor deems to be appropriate.
2. To develop, offer, and support franchises in lines of business other than and similar to a Sport Clips business, and the Franchisor makes no representation or warranty to the Franchisee that the Franchisee shall have any right to participate in such other franchises.
3. At any time during this Franchise Agreement, and in the event the Franchisor or its
affiliates acquires a company, or is acquired by a company, that is in a business similar to a Sport Clips business, the acquired or acquiring company may operate or franchise existing locations within the Protected Territory under that company's own trade name or service mark.
D. The Franchisee acknowledges and agrees that certain products of the Franchisor or its affiliates, whether now existing or developed in the future, may be distributed in the Franchisee's Protected Territory by the Franchisor or by its affiliates through channels that include, but are not limited to, supermarkets, variety stores and electronic distribution (including, without limitation, the World Wide Web), catalogs, and direct mail. This Agreement grants Franchisee no rights (i) to distribute such products through such alternative channels of distribution, or (ii) to share in any of the proceeds received by such alternative channels of distribution.
E. The Franchisor may, in its sole discretion, consent to a relocation of the Franchised Business. At a minimum, the Franchisor's consent shall be based upon the following conditions:
1. The Franchisee shall not be in default of any provision of this Agreement or in default of the lease for the original Location.
2. The Franchisee shall deliver to the Franchisor a financial statement that includes a profit and loss statement for the franchised business reflecting the previous twelve (12) months of operation, and the Franchisee shall deliver to the Franchisor a copy of the lease for the new location.
3. The new store must be constructed, located and equipped in accordance with the Franchisor's then-current specifications.
4. The Franchisee must give the Franchisor written notice of the proposed relocation ninety (90) days before the relocation date.
5. The Franchisee shall execute the Franchisor's then-current form of Franchise Agreement, which may include materially different terms, including a different royalty rate and advertising fees, except that: (i) the term of such amended Franchise Agreement shall expire on the same day that this Agreement would have expired; and (ii) there shall be no requirement for an initial franchise fee.
II. TERM AND RENEWAL
A. The initial term of this Agreement shall be for five (5) years and shall commence on the date the Franchised Business is open for business to the general public.
B. The Franchisee may renew this Agreement for additional five (5) year terms, subject to the following conditions:
1. The Franchisee shall give the Franchisor written notice of its election to renew this Agreement not more than twelve (12) months and not less than six (6) months prior to the end of the current term of this Agreement.
2. The Franchisee has made or has provided for such renovation and modernization of the Franchised Business as the Franchisor requires, including, without limitation, new signs, equipment, furnishings and decor that reflect the then-current Sport Clips trade dress and appearance set forth by the Franchisor in the Manual.
3. The Franchisee is not in default of any provision of this Agreement, or any other agreement between the Franchisee and the Franchisor, and shall not have received more than three (3) written notices of default during any eighteen (18) consecutive month period during the current term of this Agreement.
4. The Franchisee executes the Franchisor's then-current Franchise Agreement for the renewal term, which may include material terms different from this Agreement, including a new royalty rate and advertising fees.
5. The Franchisee shall pay a renewal fee of five thousand dollars ($5,000) per Franchise Agreement if the Franchisee owns fewer than three (3) open Sport Clips stores, or three thousand five hundred dollars ($3,500) per Franchise Agreement if the Franchisee owns three (3) or more open Sport Clips stores.
6. Upon the Franchisor's request, the Franchisee and its certified manager shall, at the Franchisee's expense, attend the Franchisor's then-current qualification and training programs.
7. The Franchisee, its shareholders, directors and officers shall execute a general release, in a form prescribed by the Franchisor, of any and all claims against the Franchisor, its subsidiaries and affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees. The Franchisee shall not be required, however, to release the Franchisor for violations of or failure to comply with federal or state franchise registration and disclosure laws.
8. The Franchisee shall present evidence satisfactory to the Franchisor that it has the right to remain in possession of the premises where the Franchised Business is located for the duration of the
9. The Franchisee's operation and management of the Franchised Business shall be in full compliance with the Confidential Manual.
10. The Franchisee shall maintain and be in good standing with all of its necessary and applicable licenses and permits.
A. In consideration of the right and license to operate the Franchised Business granted
herein, the Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor the following fees:
1. Initial Franchise Fes. Upon the execution of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall pay an initial franchise fee of Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000) that shall be deemed not refundable under any circumstances and'fully earned upon receipt by the Franchisor as consideration for the Franchisor's services to that time, including, without limitation, screening of the Franchisee, counseling and consultation.
2. Grand Opening Deposit. Upon the earlier of (i) ten (10) days after the date a construction permit is issued by the local government or (ii) the date construction of the Franchised Business commences, the Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a grand opening deposit of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) to be used by the Franchisor for public relations, promotions, marketing, advertisements, direct mail, coupons and other initial marketing expenses related to the opening of the Franchised Business.
3. Royalty Fees The Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a continuing and nonrefundable weekly royalty fee of six percent (6%) of Net Sales. "Net Sales" is defined as all sales of services and goods through the Franchised Business and at the Location, whether for cash or credit (and regardless of collectability), but does not include the sale price of goods returned by customers and does
not include any sales tax or other taxes collected from customers by the Franchisee for transmittal to the appropriate taxing authority.
4. Advertising and Promotion Fund Contribution. The Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a continuing and non-refundable weekly Advertising and Promotion Fund Contribution of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250).
5. Training Fees. Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a weekly training fee of fifty dollars ($50.00).
6. Local Advertising Cooperative Fee. In the event a Local Advertising Cooperative is formed in the Franchisee's Metropolitan Statistical Area, the Franchisee shall pay to the Cooperative a weekly fee of up to two hundred and fifty dollars ($250).
B. The Royalty Fees on ail Net Sales made the previous calendar week, Advertising and
Promotion Fund Contributions, and Training Fees shall be due and payable each Monday at 2:00 pm Central Time (Standard or Daylight, whichever is in effect). The Franchisor shall obtain all information on Net Sales through polling the Franchisee's computerized point of sales system by modem or other means. The Franchisee shall make arrangements with its local bank to allow the Franchisor to draw a draft on the Franchisee's bank account for the amount of all fees and payments due the Franchisor on a weekly basis. Any payment that cannot be collected by the Franchisor from the Franchisee's bank on the due date shall be deemed overdue, and the Franchisee shall be in default under this Franchise Agreement. If any payment or report is overdue, the Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor, in addition to the overdue amount, interest on such amount from the date it was due until paid, at the maximum rate permitted by law. Entitlement to collect such interest shall be an addition to any and all other remedies the Franchisor may have. In addition to interest, the Franchisee shall pay a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25) for each week, or portion of a week, that the Franchisor does not have access through the Franchisee's computer system to sales reports, not as a penalty, but as liquidated damages for the expense to manually compile this data.
IV. DUTIES OF THE FRANCHISOR
A. Prior to the opening of the Franchised Business:
1. The Franchisor shall approve or disapprove a site proposed by the Franchisee as the Location. Approval or disapproval shall be in accordance with the Franchisor's established guidelines, Approval of a site by the Franchisor shall not, however, be a warranty, representation, or promise that the Location is suitable for a Sport Clips Business and is not to be deemed to be a representation or warranty as to the likelihood of success by the Franchisee. The Franchisee acknowledges and agrees that its success will be due to factors beyond the control of the Franchisor.
2. The Franchisor shall provide to the Franchisee written guidelines and specifications for the operation and management of the Franchised Business.
3. The Franchisor shall make available, at no charge to the Franchisee, standard plans and specifications for the construction of a typical Sport Clips store. Such plans will include the exterior signage and interior design and layout, decor, color scheme, fixtures, furnishings and interior signage. The Franchised Business must be designed by a store designer or architect approved by the Franchisor, and approved by the Franchisor prior to soliciting bids for construction.
4. The Franchisor shall provide pre-opening training in the operation of the Franchised Business for up to two (2) people approved by the Franchisor (at least one of whom must be a principal of
the Franchised Business), plus one manager designated by the Franchisee.
5. The Franchisor shall provide such on-site, pre-opening and opening supervision and assistance as the Franchisor deems, in its sole discretion, advisable and subject to the availability of staff.
6. The Franchisor shall loan to the Franchisee one set of the Confidential Operating Manuals (the "Manuals") that may include, at the option of Franchisor, one or more training programs on videotape or other electronic media. The Manuals shall include standards and specifications for procedures, equipment, supplies, inventory, management and operation of the Franchised Business.
7. At the Franchisor's sole option and discretion, the Franchisor may provide pre-opening assistance in the evaluation, selection and supervision of contractors and vendors, monitoring permits and construction, assistance with ordering supplies, installing interior signs, and other pre-opening activities. In the event that Franchisor offers these supplemental services to the Franchisee, the Franchisee shall be required to execute the Pre-Opening Services Agreement, Attachment E to this Franchise Agreement, use the services provided under Attachment E, and the Franchisee shall pay the Franchisor an additional fee of five thousand dollars ($5,000) for the services for Franchisee's first store to open; four thousand dollars ($4,000) for Franchisee's second store to open; and, three thousand dollars ($3,000) each for Franchisee's third and subsequent stores to open.
B. After the opening of the Franchised Business:
1. The Franchisor shall provide such on-going and general advisory assistance the Franchisor, in its sole discretion, determines to be helpful and necessary for the operation and promotion of the Franchised Business.
2. The Franchisor shall continue its efforts to establish and maintain high standards of quality, cleanliness, safety, customer satisfaction and service.
3. The Franchisor shall provide to the Franchisee all updates, revisions and amendments to its Manuals, in either printed or electronic format.
4. Franchisor may, as it deems necessary and in its sole discretion, coordinate and conduct periodic training programs for its network of Franchisees.
5. The Franchisor may, on a periodic basis and as its deems advisable in its sole discretion, conduct inspections of the Franchised Business and evaluate its operation and the employed staff.
6. The Franchisor may provide management consulting services for special projects or assistance, and shall be entitled to charge a fee that is agreed to by the Franchisee.
7. The Franchisor shall have the right to send test customers ("Mystery Shoppers") to the Franchised Business from time to time, and without prior notification to the Franchisee.
C. At the Franchisor's sole discretion, some or all of the Franchisor's duties may be assigned by the Franchisor to a Sports Clips Area Developer.
V. DUTIES OF THE FRANCHISEE
A. The Franchisee understands and acknowledges that the Franchisor's standards of appearance and operation of the Franchised Business are critical to the Franchisor, the Franchisee and other Franchisees in order to (i) satisfy the expectations of the customers of the Franchised Business; (ii) develop and maintain high and uniform operating standards; (iii) increase the awareness of the products and services sold by Franchisees; and (iv) protect the Proprietary Marks, the System, and the Franchisor's trade secrets, reputation and goodwill. Accordingly, the Franchisee shall comply with all aspects of the System as set forth in this Agreement, the Manuals, and otherwise in writing by the Franchisor.
B. The Franchisee shall, within one year after executing this Agreement, have obtained the Franchisor's approval for the Location; shall have executed Attachment A to this Agreement; and, have signed a lease for the Location that has been approved by the Franchisor. The Franchisor's approval of
the lease shall be conditioned upon the landlord's and the Franchisee's execution of Attachment B to this Agreement as an amendment to the lease, and the Franchisee's execution of the Telephone Assignment
Agreement that is Attachment C to this Franchise Agreement.
C. The Franchisee shall commence operation of the Franchised Business within ninety (90) days after signing the lease for the Location.
D. Before commencing any construction or leasehold improvements at the Location, the Franchisee shall:
1. Ensure that the Location is in compliance with all applicable local and state laws, regulations, and ordinances including but not limited to all zoning, signage and parking requirements.
2. Employ a qualified general contractor for the purpose of supervising the construction of the Franchised Business. Prior to employing the contractor, the Franchisee shall submit to the Franchisor a statement identifying the general contractor and describing the general contractor's qualifications and financial responsibility.
3. The Franchisee shall obtain all business licenses, permits and certifications required for lawful construction and ongoing operation of the Franchised Business (including, without limitation, zoning, access, variances, health and safety, sign and fire requirements).
E. The Franchisee shall construct and equip, at the Franchisee's sole expense, the Location in accordance with Franchisor's standards and specifications. During the period of construction, Franchisee shall provide to Franchisor such periodic progress reports as the Franchisor may, in its discretion require, signed by the Franchisee and its general contractor, warranting that construction is proceeding on schedule and in accordance with the approved final plans and with all applicable laws, ordinances and regulations. The Franchisor shall have the right to inspect the construction at all reasonable times. Franchisee shall promptly notify Franchisor of the date of completion of construction, and the Franchisee shall not open the Franchised Business without the express written authorization of the Franchisor. The Franchisor's authorization to open the Franchised Business may be conditioned upon the Franchisee's strict compliance with the Franchisor's requirements regarding initial inventory, fixtures, furnishings, equipment, and the proper staffing level.
F. The Franchisee shall comply with all of the Franchisor's training requirements for the Franchisee, any person acting as the Franchisee's manager, and acting as the Franchisee's employees.
1. Prior to the opening of the Franchised Business, the Franchisee and the person acting as the Franchisee's Manager shall attend and complete to the Franchisor's satisfaction the initial training program in Georgetown, Texas. There no additional charge for this initial training, but the Franchisee shall pay all travel expenses to Georgetown, Texas, and living expenses while in Georgetown, Texas, for the Franchisee and all other persons who attend the initial training program on behalf of the Franchisee. A Manager who attends and completes to the Franchisor's satisfaction the initial training course shall be certified by the Franchisor as able to serve as a full time Manager of the Franchised Business.
2. At all times during this Agreement, the Franchised Business shall be under the direct, on-premises, and full time supervision of the Franchisee or a Manager certified by the Franchisor.
3. Prior to serving Clients, all persons acting as employees of the Franchisee shall be trained by the Franchisee, or a Manager certified by the Franchisor, by using the Franchisor's training program that includes materials supplied by the Franchisor. Employee training shall be at the Franchisee's expense, and the training may take place at the Franchised Business.
4. At the Franchisor's request, the Franchisee's employees shall periodically attend refresher training courses sponsored by the Franchisor that are held within two hundred (200) miles of the Franchised Business. This periodic training shall not be more than once every three (3) months. There shall be no charge for the training, but the Franchisee shall pay the travel and living expenses of employees during the periodic training program.
5. The Franchisee and the Franchisee's Manager shall be required to attend and complete to the Franchisor's satisfaction any additional training programs that the Franchisor may, from time-to-time, require.
6. The Franchisee and anyone acting as the Franchisee's Manager shall be required to attend the national convention sponsored by the Franchisor.
G. The Franchisee shall use the premises of the Franchised Business solely for the
operation of a Sport Clips store in strict accordance with the Operating Manuals, and shall not use the premises of the Franchised Business for any other purpose.
H. The Franchisee shall continuously maintain the Franchised Business in the highest
degree of sanitation, safety, repair and condition as regulatory agencies, governmental agencies and/or the Franchisor may require, and in connection therewith shall make such additions, alterations, repairs and replacements thereto (but not without the Franchisor's prior written consent) as may be required for that purpose, including without limitation, redecorating, replacement of inventory and replacement of obsolete signs, fixtures or materials as the Franchisor may reasonably direct, or as required under the lease for the Franchised Business.
1. The Franchisee shall operate the Franchised Business in conformity with the uniform
methods, standards and specifications as the Franchisor may from time to time prescribe to ensure uniformity and a high degree of product quality and service. The Franchisee shall conduct its business in a manner, which reflects favorably at all times on the System and the Proprietary Marks. The Franchisee shall at no time engage in deceptive, misleading or unethical practices or conduct any other act which may have a negative impact on the reputation and goodwill of the Franchisor or any other Franchisee operating under the System.
J. The Franchisee shall equip and furnish the Franchised Business in accordance with the
Franchisor's specifications, and only with equipment, fixtures, furniture, and signs that have been approved by the Franchisor for use in the Franchised Business. The Franchisee shall maintain at the premises of the Franchise Business at least one computerized point-of-sale system approved by the Franchisor. The Franchisee shall promptly obtain, at the Franchisee's expense, any applicable updates to the software for the system as the updates become available.
K. The Franchisee shall offer for retail sale only such products and services as have been
expressly approved in writing by the Franchisor. The Franchisee shall, at all times, maintain at the Franchised Business a level of inventory that is approved by the Franchisor of approved product for retail sale.
L. The Franchisee shall maintain at the Franchised Business a minimum number of
employees as may be prescribed by the Franchisor and in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Franchisee shall ensure that all employees are competent, trained, and are courteous to the public.
M. All customer complaints shall be promptly addressed by the Franchisee, and all
consumer complaints pending in a legal or administrative forum shall be answered by the Franchisee within ten (10) days after receipt of any such legal proceedings (or such shorter period of time as may be provided by law). A copy of any consumer legal proceeding and the Franchisee's response shall be forwarded to the Franchisor within three (3) business days of the date that response is forwarded to the consumer or the applicable legal authority.
N. The Franchisee shall permit the Franchisor or its representatives to enter upon the
premises of the Franchised Business at any reasonable time for purposes of conducting inspections, taking photographs and interviewing employees and customers. The Franchisee shall cooperate fully with the Franchisor's agents or representatives in such inspections by rendering such assistance as they may reasonably request. The Franchisee shall immediately correct any deficiencies detected during such inspections, including, without limitation, cease all use of products, equipment, inventory, advertising materials, supplies or other items that are not approved by the Franchisor. In the event the Franchisee fails or refuses to correct such deficiencies, the Franchisor shall have the right to enter upon the premises of the Franchised Business, without being guilty of trespass or any other tort, for the purpose of making or causing to be made such corrections as may be required, at the sole expense of the Franchisee, which the Franchisee agrees to pay upon demand.
0 The Franchisee shall at all times use the Franchisee's best efforts to promote and
increase the sales and consumer recognition of the products and services offered at the Franchised Business pursuant to the System and the Manuals, to effect the widest and best possible distribution of the Franchisor's products and services from the Franchised Business.
P. The Franchisee shall not advertise any goods or services offered by the Franchised
Business through the Word Wide Web except as specifically approved in writing by the Franchisor,
Q. The Franchisee shall at all times display the Franchisor's Proprietary Marks and logos at
the Franchised Business and on uniforms in the manner prescribed by the Franchisor. The color, design and location of displays shall be specified by the Franchisor and may be changed from time to time in the sole discretion of the Franchisor. The Franchisee shall conspicuously display to customers any sign or notice designated by the Franchisor serving to notify and inform third parties that the Franchisor is engaged in the business of franchising and providing sufficient information to enable third parties to contact the Franchisor to inquire about prospective franchises. The Franchisee shall not display any signs or posters at the premises or elsewhere without the prior written consent of the Franchisor.
R. The Franchisee shall comply with all requirements set forth in this Agreement, in the
Manuals or as the Franchisor may, from time to time, designate in writing, from time to time.
VI. PROPRIETARY MARKS
A. The Franchisee and the Franchisor agree that this license to use the Proprietary Marks applies only to their use in connection with the operation of the Franchised Business conducted .at the Location, and that the license includes only such Proprietary Marks as are now or may hereafter be designated by the Franchisor in writing for use with the licensed System.
B. The Franchisor has the exclusive right to license the Proprietary Marks and the identification schemes, standards, specifications, operating procedures and other concepts embodied in the System. Any unauthorized use of the System and the Proprietary Marks is and shall be deemed an infringement of the Franchisor's rights and a breach of this Agreement. Except as expressly granted by this Agreement, the Franchisee acquires no right, title or interest in the System or in the Proprietary Marks. Any and all good will associated with the System or the Proprietary Marks shall inure exclusively to the Franchisor. Upon the expiration and termination of this- Agreement, the Franchisee shall not be entitled to any compensation attributable to any goodwill associated with the Franchisee's use of the System or of the Proprietary Marks.
C. Franchisee shall promptly notify the Franchisor of the attempt by any person or entity, other than the Franchisor or its licensees, to use the Proprietary Marks or any colorable variation thereof, or any other name, mark or symbol in which the Franchisor claims a proprietary interest, or which is confusingly similar to the Proprietary Marks. Franchisee shall notify the Franchisor promptly of any litigation involving the Proprietary Marks that is instituted by any person or firm against Franchisee. Notwithstanding the lack of an obligation on the part of the Franchisor to assume responsibility or control
of any such litigation, Franchisee shall, immediately upon receiving notice thereof, grant to the Franchisor the option to defend the litigation. Within ten (10) days of receipt of the written notice from the Franchisee, the Franchisor shall notify Franchisee of its election to either defend and assume control of such litigation, or decline to defend and assume control the litigation. In the event the Franchisor elects to defend and control such litigation, the Franchisor may, without the consent of Franchisee, settle or compromise any such claims on such terms as the Franchisor, in its sole discretion, may deem appropriate, provided that any monetary settlement entered into without the consent of Franchisee will be paid by the Franchisor. In the event the Franchisor does not elect to defend and assume control of the litigation, the Franchisee shall not settle or otherwise compromise any claims regarding the Proprietary Marks on terms that are not first approved by the Franchisor. The Franchisor shall defend and indemnify the Franchisee from any claims or litigation arising under the Franchisee's use of the Proprietary Marks that arise subsequent to the date of this Agreement, provided the Franchisee has not used the marks in an unauthorized manner. The Franchisor may, in its sole discretion and at it sole expense, settle or compromise any such claims on such terms as the Franchisor deems appropriate and any settlement entered into shall be paid by Franchisor.
D. The Franchisee shall not use the Proprietary Marks or any part or form of the Proprietary Marks as part of the Franchisee's corporate or other legal name, or hold out or otherwise employ the Proprietary Marks to perform any activity, or to incur any obligation or indebtedness, in such a manner that could reasonably result in making the Franchisor responsible or liable for that obligation or debt. The Franchisee shall display within the Franchised Business a prominently visible sign stating that the Franchisee's business is independently owned by the Franchisee and that the business is operated pursuant to a Franchise Agreement with the Franchisor.
E. In addition to all other obligations of the Franchisee with respect to the Proprietary Marks licensed herein, the Franchisee agrees:
1. To refrain from using any of the Proprietary Marks, or any part or form thereof, in conjunction with any other word or symbol without the Franchisor's prior written consent.
2. To feature and use the Proprietary Marks solely in the manner prescribed by the Franchisor and not use the Proprietary Marks on the World Wide Web or as part of any e-mail address except as approved in writing by the Franchisor.
3. To observe all such requirements with respect to service mark, trademark and copyright notices, fictitious name registrations, and the display of the legal name or other identification of the Franchisee as the Franchisor may direct in writing from time to time.
4. To use, promote and offer for sale under the Proprietary Marks only those products and services which are authorized by the Franchisor.
5. To execute all documents requested by the Franchisor or its counsel that are necessary to obtain protection for the Proprietary Marks or to maintain their continued validity and enforceability, and to take no action that would jeopardize the validity or enforceability of such marks.
F. In the event the trade name "Sport Clips" is not available for use in any particular area, the Franchisor shall designate a trade name and logo for use by the Franchisee which shall become part of the Proprietary Marks, and the Franchisor shall have no liability to the Franchisee for any senior users that may claim rights to the Proprietary Marks
VII. CONFIDENTIAL OPERATING MANUALS
A. The Franchisee will conduct the business licensed under this Franchise Agreement in accordance with the Franchisor's Confidential Operating Manuals (the "Manuals") that the Franchisee acknowledges having received on loan from the Franchisor for the Franchisee's use during the term of this Franchise Agreement.
B. The Franchisee will at all times treat the Manuals, which include all electronic training materials, created or approved for use in the operation of the Franchised Business, as confidential, proprietary information of the Franchisor disclosed to the Franchisee under an agreement of confidentiality, and shall use all reasonable efforts to maintain such information secret and confidential. The Franchisee will not at any time, without the Franchisor's prior written consent, copy, duplicate, record, or distribute any part of the Manuals, or any other operating instructions, standards or procedures or training materials disclosed to the Franchisee by the Franchisor. The Franchisee shall not allow any person to duplicate or copy any such material, and shall obligate all employees to abide by the terms of this provision and keep and maintain such information secret and confidential, and refrain from the use of the information in any other business or activity except that which is licensed by this Agreement. Only employees that need to have access to the Manuals during the normal course of business shall have access to the Manuals.
C. The Manuals, including the electronic training materials, shall at all times remain the sole property of the Franchisor. The Franchisor may from time to time revise the content of the Manuals without the consent of the Franchisee, and the Franchisee will observe and comply with the Manuals in the amended form. The Franchisee will at all times insure that the Franchisee's copy of the Manuals is kept current and up-to-date. Additional or replacement portions of the Manuals shall, immediately upon receipt, be inserted in the Franchisee's copy of the Manuals, and the replaced portions shall immediately be destroyed. In the event of any dispute as to the contents of the Manual, the terms of the master copy maintained by the Franchisor at its primary office shall be controlling. In the event the Franchisee's copy of the Manuals is damaged, lost or for other reasons becomes out of date or unusable due to the negligence of the Franchisee, the Franchisee shall promptly acquire new Manuals from the Franchisor and shall, upon such event, pay a Manual replacement fee in the amount of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) per Manual or one thousand dollars ($1,000) per set of Manuals.
VIII. ACCOUNTING, INSPECTIONS AND RECORDS
A. The Franchisee shall maintain and preserve during the term of this Agreement and for not less than three (3) years after the expiration or termination of this Agreement, full, complete and accurate books, financial records and accounts in the form and manner prescribed by the Manuals or otherwise in writing by the Franchisor.
B. The Franchisor shall poll by modem or other means the Franchisee's computerized point of sale system to obtain any and all information the Franchisor deems necessary to its monitoring of the Franchised Business, including Net Sales and any other information that is recorded by the computerized system. All such information received by Franchisor will be treated as confidential information, and will not be made available to any third party without the consent of the Franchisee, except that comparative store data including Net Sales may be distributed to other franchises in the system by the Franchisor.
C. The Franchisee shall provide to the Franchisor, on a quarterly basis, unaudited profit and loss statements for the Franchised Business, in the format prescribed in the Manuals, within thirty (30) days of the end of each calendar quarter.
D. The Franchisee shall provide to the Franchisor on an annual basis financial' statements for the Franchised Business that are prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP), within ninety (90) days of the close of the Franchisee's fiscal year. Upon the written request of the Franchisor, Franchisee shall provide to the Franchisor copies of federal and state income tax returns for the Franchisee and the Franchised Business, as well as quarterly or monthly state sales tax returns. The annual financial statements and each annual tax return shall be prepared or reviewed by an independent public accountant and signed by the Franchisee attesting that the statements are true and correct.
E. Upon the Franchisor's request, the Franchisee shall submit copies of the Franchisee's invoices for goods purchased from all suppliers and copies of the Franchisee's operating reports to its landlord and/or shopping mall operator. The Franchisee hereby grants the Franchisor the right to
independent access to the Franchisee's accounts and records with any vendor approved by the Franchisor for the purposes of verifying sales data and product purchases.
F. The Franchisee shall submit to the Franchisor such other financial and operating data and information as the Franchisor may request.
G. The Franchisor or its designated agents shall have the right at all reasonable times to audit, examine and copy, at the Franchisor's expense, all books, financial records, receipts, bank statements and tax returns of the Franchisee. The Franchisor shall also be entitled to review the tax returns of any individual who has an ownership interest in the Franchised Business or the Franchisee. If an inspection should reveal that Net Sales have been understated through any report to, or polling by, the Franchisor, the Franchisee shall immediately pay to the Franchisor the amount owed plus interest at a rate of ten percent (10%) per annum of the underpaid amount. If any inspection or audit discloses that Net Sales have been understated during any four (4) week period by five percent (5%) or more through any report to, or polling by, the Franchisor, the Franchisee shall then also pay for the Franchisor's costs in connection with the inspection or audit, including reasonable accountants' and attorneys' fees.
A. The Franchisee shall not use any advertising or promotional plans or materials that have not been approved in writing by the Franchisor, and the Franchisee shall cease to use any plans or materials promptly upon notice by the Franchisor. The Franchisee shall submit to the Franchisor for its prior written approval, samples of all promotional and marketing materials in whatever form that the Franchisee desires to use and which have not been previously supplied or approved by the Franchisor. If the Franchisor does not respond to the request to use advertising materials submitted by the Franchisee within thirty (30) days, the Franchisee shall be entitled to use the submitted materials until receiving notice otherwise from the Franchisor.
B. The Franchisor may, in its sole discretion, establish and maintain an Advertising and Promotion Fund (the "Fund"). All Advertising and Promotion Contributions made by the Franchisee shall be deposited by the Franchisor into the Fund. The Franchisor may make a reasonable allocation for its overhead expenses incurred in connection with the administration and management of the Fund, including employee salaries. However, in no event shall administration and management expenses of the Fund exceed twenty percent (20%) of the collected amount.
C. The Franchisor shall spend at least eighty percent (80%) of the Fund on advertising and promotion of the Proprietary Marks as the Franchisor deems, in its sole discretion, to be useful and appropriate. The Franchisor does not promise or represent to the Franchisee that any particular level or amount of Advertising and Promotion Contributions made by the Franchisee to the Fund will be used for advertising or promotion in the Franchisee's Protected Territory or region. The Franchisor's determination of the allocation and use of the Contributions to the Fund shall not be challenged or contested by the Franchisee.
D. If Contributions made by the System to the Fund are not spent in the fiscal year in which they made, the Contributions shall remain in the Fund for use during the following year. It is understood and agreed that the Franchisor shall allocate advertising funds as it deems, in its sole discretion, to be appropriate.
E. If there are two (2) or more Sports Clips franchisees, with four (4) more stores open in one Metropolitan Statistical Area ("MSA"), the Franchisor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to require that the franchisees in that MSA, including the Franchisee, form a local area advertising cooperative. Once such a cooperative is established, membership by all Sport Clips franchisees in the MSA shall be mandatory. A local advertising cooperative can assess each Franchisee up to $250 per week for each individual Franchised Business owned by the Franchisee. The rules of the local cooperative will be established by the adoption of bylaws, which shall be subject to the approval of the Franchisor.
A. Prior to the opening of the Franchised Business and prior to the commencement of any construction at the Location, the Franchisee shall obtain, and thereafter maintain in full force and effect during the term of this Agreement, insurance that protects the Franchisee and the Franchisor, and their respective officers, directors, partners and employees, against any loss, liability, personal injury, death, property damage or expense whatsoever from fire, lightning, theft, vandalism, malicious mischief and the perils included in the extended coverage endorsement, arising or occurring upon or in connection with the Franchised Business or the construction of or leasehold improvements to the Franchised Business, or by reason of the operation or occupancy of the Franchised Business.
B. The Franchisee shall submit to the Franchisor proof of insurance required by this Agreement prior to construction of the Franchise Business. Such insurance policy or policies shall be written by an insurance company satisfactory to the Franchisor in accordance with the standards and specifications set forth in the Manuals or otherwise in writing, and shall include, at a minimum (except as additional coverage and higher policy limits may reasonably be specified from time to time by the Franchisor in the Manuals or otherwise in writing) the following:
1. Comprehensive general liability insurance, including contractual liability, broad form property damage, personal injury, advertising injury, product liability, non-owned and hired auto liability, completed operations and independent contractors coverage, and fire damage coverage in the amount of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000), or such higher amount as required by the lease, combined single limit, and naming the Franchisor as an additional insured in each such policy or policies.
2. Worker's compensation and employer's liability insurance as well as such other insurance as may be required by statute or rule of the state in which the Franchised Business is located and
3. Fire, vandalism and extended coverage insurance with primary and excess limits of not less than the full replacement value of the Franchised Business and its furniture, fixtures and equipment.
4. Business interruption insurance in amounts equal to at least the average annual royalties and Advertising and Promotion Fund Contributions payable to the Franchisor, but in no event not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) annual coverage.
5. Professional liability insurance (Barbers and Beauticians) in the amount of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000), combined single limit, and naming the Franchisor as an additional insured in each such policy or policies (which may be included in the basic policy by some insurers, or may be written as a separate policy by others).
6. Umbrella Insurance coverage in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000).
7. Life insurance on the principal operating person (Franchisee, Chief Operating Officer or Operating Partner of Franchisee), in an amount sufficient to pay any outstanding loans and to provide working capital for the recruitment, hiring and training of a replacement for the insured person.
C. The Franchisee shall not employ any general contractor to work at the Location unless the contractor submits to the Franchisee proof of comprehensive general liability insurance (with comprehensive automobile liability coverage for both owned and non-owned vehicles, builder's risk, product liability and independent contractors coverage) in at least the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000) with the Franchisor named as an additional insured, and worker's compensation and employer's liability insurance as required by state law. A copy of the Certificates of Insurance for all coverage shall be provided to the Franchisor prior to the commencement of construction of the leasehold improvements.
D. Should the Franchisee fail to procure or maintain the insurance required by this
Agreement, the Franchisor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to procure such insurance for the benefit of the Franchisee, and the Franchisee shall promptly reimburse the Franchisor for the insurance premiums, together with a reasonable fee for the Franchisor's expenses in obtaining the insurance. The Franchisor may recover such reimbursement and expenses by drafting directly from the Franchisee's bank account.
XI. TRANSFER OF INTEREST AND INCAPACITY OF FRANCHISEE
A. The Franchisor shall have the unencumbered right, at any time, to assign this Agreement, and all of its rights and privileges hereunder, to any person, firm, corporation or other business entity.
B. Neither the Franchisee, nor any of the Franchisee's shareholders, members, or partners, if any, shall transfer or sell ten percent (10%) or more of the assets used in the Franchised Business, or mortgage or pledge as security any part of this Franchise Agreement, without obtaining the Franchisor's prior written consent.
C. If the Franchisee or any person with an ownership interest in the Franchised Business desires to accept an offer from a third party to purchase the Franchised Business in whole or in part, the Franchisee shall notify the Franchisor in writing and send a written copy of the signed offer to purchase. The Franchisor shall have the option, but not the obligation, exercisable within thirty (30) days after receipt of such written notification, to purchase the ownership interest on the same terms and conditions offered by the third party.
1. Any material change in the terms of any offer prior to closing shall constitute a new offer subject to the same right of first refusal by the Franchisor as in the case of an initial offer.
2. In the event that the Franchisor exercises its option to purchase the Franchised Business under this Section, the closing of the purchase shall occur by the later of: (i) the closing date specified in the third party offer; or (ii) within sixty (60) days from the date the Franchisor sends written notice exercising its option.
3. In the event the consideration, terms and/or conditions offered by a third party are such that the Franchisor may not reasonably be required to furnish the same consideration, terms and/or conditions, then the Franchisor may purchase the ownership interest for the reasonable equivalent in cash. If Franchisor and Franchisee cannot agree, within a reasonable time, on the reasonable equivalent in cash of the consideration, terms and/or conditions offered by a third party, then each party, at its own expense, will designate an independent appraiser. The two appraisers attempt to agree as to the value and if they cannot agree to a value within in ten (10) days, the appraisers shall select a third independent appraiser and the independent appraiser's determination shall be final and binding. The cost of the third appraiser shall be borne equally by the Franchisor and the Franchisee.
D. The Franchisee must first obtain the Franchisor's written approval before'the transfer or sale of any controlling interest in the Franchised Business. The Franchisor's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld, but shall be conditioned upon the following:
1. The Franchisee shall not be in default of any part of this Agreement or any other Agreement between the Franchisee and Franchisor, including, but not limited to, monetary default.
2. The Franchisee and each of its partners, shareholders, officers and directors, if applicable, shall have executed a general release under seal, in a form satisfactory to the Franchisor, of
any and all claims against the Franchisor and its officers, directors, shareholders and employees in their corporate and individual capacities.
3. The transferee shall demonstrate to the Franchisor's satisfaction that the transferee meets the Franchisor's educational, managerial and business standards; possesses a good moral character, business reputation and credit rating; has the aptitude and ability to operate the Franchised Business (as may be evidenced by prior related experience, Franchisor's testing criteria or otherwise); has at least the same managerial and financial criteria required of new Franchisees; and shall have sufficient equity capital to operate the Franchised Business.
4. The transferee shall enter into a written assignment, under seal and in a form satisfactory to the Franchisor, assuming and agreeing to discharge all of the Franchisee's obligations under this Agreement, and, if the transferee is not an individual, then the shareholders, partners or other owners of the transferee shall jointly and severally guarantee the obligations of the Franchisee under this Agreement in writing in a form satisfactory to the Franchisor. In the alternative, and at the Franchisor's option, the transferee shall execute the then-current form of the Sports Clips Franchise Agreement which may contain terms that are materially different from this Agreement, with a term ending on the expiration date of this Agreement but including any renewal terms as may be provided by this Agreement.
5. At least ten (10) days prior to the date of the transfer, the transferor must renovate and upgrade the Franchised Business to conform to the then-current specifications of the Franchisor.
6. The Franchisee shall be released from liability to the Franchisor for all obligations under the Franchise Agreement assumed by the transferee, except that the Franchisee shall continue to remain bound by all post-term covenants and obligations contained in this Agreement.
7. At the transferee's expense, the transferee and its manager and employees shall complete any training programs then in effect for current franchisees upon such terms and conditions as the Franchisor may reasonably require except that, if the manager and employees of the Franchised Business have been trained previously by the Franchisor they shall not be required to attend any additional training programs as a result of the transfer.
8. The Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a transfer fee of five thousand dollars ($5,000) for the first Franchised Business that is transferred and, provided the transfers take place in one simultaneous transaction, a transfer fee of one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each additional Franchised Business (or license to open a Franchised Business) that is transferred.
9. The Franchisee must provide the Franchisor with a fully executed copy of the purchase and sale agreements of purchase and sale between the Franchisee and the transferee.
E. The Franchisee must obtain the Franchisor's written approval before the transfer or sale
of any controlling interest in the Franchised Business to a corporation, limited liability company, partnership, or other business entity. The Franchisor's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld, but shall be conditioned upon the following:
1. The Franchisee shall be a newly organized business entity (unless such entity already has an existing relationship with the Franchisor) and the entity's articles of formation provide that the entity's business shall be confined to the operation and management of Sport Clips franchises.
2. The Franchisee shall provide the Franchisor with a true and correct copy of the business entity's articles of formation, state certificates of formation, bylaws, and any other similar documents requested by the Franchisor.
3. All owners of the business entity, regardless of the percentage of ownership, shall jointly and severally guarantee all obligations of the business entity under the Franchise Agreement, and agree to be personally bound by all post-termination covenants.
4. In the event the business entity issues any certificates of ownership, including but not limited to stock certificates, the certificates of ownership shall state in bold face and capital letters that the
sale, transfer, assignment, pledge or encumbrance of the certificates of ownership are subject to the terms and conditions of a Franchise Agreement with Sport Clips, Inc. and the Franchisee.
5. The Franchisee shall maintain and provide to the Franchisor upon request a current list of all individual owners or partners of the business entity, together with the addresses and telephone numbers of each owner or partner.
6. The business entity shall file an assumed name registration with the county clerk of each county in which the Franchisee operates, and any other government agency that requires such a filing, stating that it is doing business under the name "Sport Clips," along with the business entity's legal name, and a copy of the filing shall be supplied to the Franchisor.
F. The Franchisee and anyone with an ownership interest in the Franchised Business must obtain the Franchisor's written approval before offering any ownership interest in the Franchised Business to the public by private or public offering or any stock exchange. The Franchisor's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld, but shall be conditioned upon the following:
1. All materials required by federal or state law, as well as any materials to be used to exempt the offering, shall be submitted to the Franchisor for review at least sixty (60) days prior to such documents being filed with any government agency or distributed to investors. Under no circumstances shall the Franchisee or anyone with an ownership interest in the Franchised Business imply by the use of the Proprietary Marks or otherwise that the Franchisor is participating in an underwriting, issuance or offering of the Franchisee's securities.
2. The Franchisee and any other participants in the offering must fully indemnify the Franchisor in connection with the offering pursuant to an indemnity agreement in form and substance satisfactory to the Franchisor and its counsel. For each proposed offering, the Franchisee shall pay to the Franchisor a non-refundable fee of no less than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) to reimburse the Franchisor for its reasonable costs and expenses associated with reviewing the proposed offering, including, without limitation, legal and accounting fees.
G. Upon the death, mental incapacity or disability of the Franchisee or any person with an ownership interest in the Franchised Business, the Franchisor shall consent to the transfer of the ownership interest in the Franchised Business and in this Agreement to the spouse, heirs or relative by blood or by marriage, of the deceased, incapacitated or disabled person, whether such transfer is made by will or by operation of law, if such person or persons meet the Franchisor's standards as set forth in Section XI.D. of this Agreement. If the transfer is not approved by the Franchisor, the executor, administrator or personal representative of the deceased, incapacitated or disabled person shall transfer the interest to a third party approved by the Franchisor within six (6) months after such death, mental incapacity or disability. Such transfer shall be subject to the Franchisor's right of first refusal and to the same conditions as set forth in Section X1D of this Agreement.
H. In the event that the Franchisee or the Franchisee's owners are absent or incapacitated
for any reason, and in order to protect the Franchised Business and to prevent injury to the goodwill and reputation of the Proprietary Marks, the Franchisor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to operate the Franchised Business for as long as the Franchisor deems necessary and practical. If the Franchisor elects to operate the Franchised Business, all revenues from the operation of the Franchised Business during the period of operation by the Franchisor shall be kept in a separate account. All expenses of the Franchised Business, including but not limited Royalty Fees, Advertising and Promotion Fund Contributions, Training Fees, and compensation and expenses for the Franchisor's representative, shall be charged to and paid from the account. Disbursements to Franchisee will be made periodically at the sole discretion of Franchisor, taking into consideration the reasonable and necessary needs of the business. If the Franchisor elects to operate the Franchised Business under this Section on behalf of the Franchisee, the Franchisee shall indemnify and hold harmless the Franchisor from any and all claims arising from the acts and omissions of the Franchisor and its representatives in the operation of the Franchised Business.
XII. DEFAULT AND TERMINATION
A. . The Franchisee shall be deemed to be in default and the Franchisor may, at its option, terminate this Agreement and all rights granted hereunder, without affording the Franchisee any opportunity to cure the default, effective immediately upon receipt of notice from the Franchisor to the Franchisee, upon the occurrence of any of the following events:
1. If the Franchisee becomes insolvent or makes a general assignment for the benefit of creditors, or if a petition in bankruptcy is filed by the Franchisee or such a petition is filed against and consented to by the Franchisee, or if the Franchisee is adjudicated bankrupt, or if a bill in equity or other proceeding for the appointment of a receiver of the Franchisee or other custodian for the Franchisee's business or assets is filed and consented to by the Franchisee, or if a receiver or other custodian (permanent or temporary) of the Franchisee's business or assets is appointed by any court of competent jurisdiction, or if proceedings for a conference with a committee of creditors under any state, federal or foreign law should be instituted by or against the Franchisee, or if a final judgment remains unsatisfied or of record for thirty (30) days or longer (unless supersedes bond is filed), or if execution is levied against the Franchisee's operating location or property, or if any substantial real or personal property of the Franchised Business shall be sold after levy thereupon by any sheriff, marshal or constable.
2. If the Franchisee ceases to do business at the Location for five (5) or more consecutive business days, relocates the Franchised Business without the Franchisor's consent, or loses the right to possession of the premises upon which the Franchised Business is located or otherwise forfeits the right to do or transact business where the Franchised Business is located; provided, however, that if any such loss of possession results from the governmental exercise of the power of eminent domain, or if, the premises are damaged or destroyed by a disaster such that they cannot, in the Franchisor's judgment, reasonably be restored within one hundred twenty (120) days, and the landlord (if the business location is leased) releases Franchisee from the applicable lease, then, the Franchisee shall have ninety (90) days to identify an alternative location within the same market area as the Location for the operation of the Franchised Business (the "Substituted Site") and submit all information reasonably requested by the Franchisor in connection with the Substituted Site for its review and approval. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Franchisor shall have a right to terminate this Agreement if the Franchisee is not in possession of the Substituted Site and open for business to the general public within six (6) months of its receipt of the Franchisor's approval.
3. If the Franchisee misuses or makes any unauthorized use of the Proprietary Marks, engages in any business or markets any service or products under a name or mark which is confusingly similar to the Proprietary Marks.
4. If the Franchisee attempts to modify the computerized point-of-sale computer system software without the prior written approval of Franchisor.
5. If the Franchisee understates by five percent (5%) or more its Net Sales in connection with any report required to be submitted to the Franchisor.
6. If a threat or danger to public safety results from the construction, maintenance or operation of the Franchised Business, or if the Franchisee operates the Franchised Business in an unlawful manner or without the proper licenses.
7. If the Franchisee is convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or any other crime or offense that the Franchisor reasonably believes is likely to have an adverse effect on the System and the Proprietary Marks, or if a judgment or a consent decree is entered against the Franchisee, or any of its officers, directors, shareholders or partners in any civil case or proceeding involving allegations of fraud, racketeering, unfair or improper trade practices or similar claim which the Franchisor reasonably believes is likely to have an adverse effect on the System or the Proprietary Marks.
8. If the Franchisee fails to obtain and maintain all required licenses under state and local
law, so that the business is no longer able to operate as a Sport Clips franchised business.
9. If the Franchisee purports to transfer any rights or obligations under this Agreement to any third party without the Franchisor's prior written consent, or if the Franchisee moves or changes the Location without the Franchisor's prior consent.
10. If the Franchisee discloses, divulges or disseminates to an unauthorized third party the contents of the Manuals or any other designated trade secrets or confidential information provided to the Franchisee by the Franchisor.
11. If the Franchisee knowingly maintains false books or records or submits any false statements, applications or reports to the Franchisor.
12. If the Franchisee fails to present a Location for the Franchised Business and obtain the Franchisor's approval of the Location, or fails to sign the lease for the Location, or fails to open the Franchised Business within the time frames set forth in this Agreement.
13. If the Franchisee receives three (3) or more notices of default within any consecutive twenty-four (24) month period during the term of this Franchise Agreement, whether or not such defaults are timely cured by the Franchisee.
14. If the Franchisee defaults under its lease agreement for the Location and fails to cure the default within the applicable grace period.
15. If any other agreement, including any other Franchise Agreement, to which the Franchisee and the Franchisor are parties, is terminated as a result of the Franchisee failing to cure any default within the grace period (if any) provided for in that agreement.
16. If the Franchisee makes any unauthorized sale of product that violates approved vendor or manufacturer policies regarding sale of product, such as re-selling professional hair care products to wholesalers or other retailers.
B. The Franchisee shall have thirty (30) days after receiving from the Franchisor a written
notice of default to remedy any default described below. If any such default is not cured within that time, or such longer period as required by applicable state law, this Agreement, at Franchisor's option, shall terminate without further notice to the Franchisee effective immediately upon the expiration of the thirty (30) day period. Such defaults shall include, without limitation, the occurrence of any of the following events:
1. If the Franchisee fails, refuses or neglects to pay promptly any monies owed to the Franchisor, its subsidiaries or affiliates, or to suppliers approved by the Franchisor, when due.
2. If the Franchisee fails to maintain any of the standards or procedures prescribed by the Franchisor in this Agreement, the Manuals, any other written agreements between the parties or otherwise.
3. If the Franchisee fails to comply with any material provision of this Agreement.
4. If the Franchisee fails to maintain and submit to the Franchisor any financial reports or statements required by this Agreement, including tax returns and bank statements.
5. If the Franchisee fails to install and maintain in good working condition computer hardware and software for a point-of-sale system as specified in the Manuals, or fails to set up the point-of-sale system so that Franchisor can access the system to download data by modem or otherwise after the store is closed each evening.
6. If the Franchisee fails to maintain signage as required by the Franchisor in the Manuals.
7. If the Franchisee, the Franchisee's manager or employees fail to attend and successfully complete any mandatory training program as required by the Franchisor. Attendance at the annual conference is mandatory and failure of the Franchisee and/or Franchisee's store manager to attend this conference shall be a default under this section.
8. If the Franchisee fails to obtain the prior written approval of the Franchisor of any and all advertising, marketing or promotional plans and materials used by the Franchisee in connection with its promotion of the Franchised Business or otherwise fails to comply with Franchisor's policies and procedures with respect to advertising, marketing or promotion.
9. If the Franchisee fails, refuses, or neglects to pay promptly when due any monies owing to a local area advertising cooperative to which the Franchisee is a member.
10. If the Franchisee fails to obtain and maintain all required licenses under state and local law, even if the business is able to continue to operate as a Sport Clips franchised business.
11. If the Franchisee offers through the Franchised Business or at the Location any product or service that is not approved by the Franchisor.
C. Termination of this Agreement for the reasons described in this Section shall be in
addition to any other remedy that the Franchisor shall have in law or equity.
XIII. OBLIGATIONS UPON TERMINATION OR EXPIRATION OF FRANCHISE AGREEMENT
A. Upon termination or expiration of this Agreement, all rights granted to the Franchisee under this Agreement shall terminate immediately and the Franchisee shall have no further right to operate the Franchised Business.
B. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall immediately cease to operate the Franchised Business and shall not thereafter, directly or indirectly, represent to the public or hold that the Franchisee is a Sport Clips franchisee,
C. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, The Franchisee shall immediately cease to use, in any manner whatsoever, the Proprietary Marks, the Manuals, trade dress, customer database, programs, literature, and all procedures and techniques associated with the System and the name "Sport Clips."
D. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall cancel any assumed name or equivalent registration which contains the Proprietary Marks or any other trademark, trade name or service mark of the Franchisor, and the Franchisee shall furnish the Franchisor with evidence satisfactory to the Franchisor of compliance with this obligation within thirty (30) days after termination or expiration of this Agreement.
E. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall, at the Franchisor's option and upon the Franchisor's request, assign to the Franchisor any interest that the Franchisee has in any lease or sublease for the premises of the Franchised Business.
1. In the event the Franchisor elects to exercise its option to acquire the lease or sublease
of the Franchised Business, the Franchisor shall provide the Franchisee written notice of the Franchisor's election to exercise the option within thirty (30) date of the date of termination or expiration of the Franchise Agreement.
2. In the event the Franchisor elects to exercise its option to acquire the lease or sublease
of the Franchised Business, the Franchisor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to purchase from the Franchisee furniture, equipment, supplies and signs used in the Franchised Business and selected by the Franchisor. Notice of the Franchisor's election to buy the furniture, equipment, supplies and signs shall be contained in the notice electing to acquire the lease or sublease of the Franchise Business. If the Franchisor elects to buy the furniture, equipment, supplies and sign, the Franchisor shall compensate the Franchisee for these items at the lesser of the (i) the Franchisee's actual cost, or (ii) fair market value. The Franchisor shall be entitled to deduct from the purchase price any sums of money owed by the Franchisee to the Franchisor. If Franchisor and Franchisee cannot agree, within a reasonable time, on the fair market value of the items to be purchased by the Franchisor, then each party, at its own expense, shall designate an independent appraiser; the two appraisers will then attempt to agree as to the value. In the event that the two appraisers cannot agree in a reasonable time, then they will select a third independent appraiser and his determination shall be final and binding. The cost of the third appraiser shall be borne equally by both parties.
F. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, and in the event that the Franchisor does not elect to exercise its option to assume the lease or sublease for the Franchised Business, the Franchisee shall make such modifications or alterations to the premises of the Franchised Business as may be necessary to distinguish the appearance of said premises from that of a business operating under the System. The Franchisee shall make such specific additional changes as the Franchisor may reasonably request including, but not be limited to, ceasing to use exterior signage identifying the store as a Sport Clips; all proprietary interior signage; equipment that is unique to or an integral part of the Sport Clips overall decor package, including the receptionist desk, reception area stadium-type seats and benches, proprietary murals of crowd scenes and athletes, styling stations, fencing modules, and drop-lights over the styling stations. In the event the Franchisee fails or refuses to comply with the requirements of this Section XIV, the Franchisor shall have the right to enter upon the premises of the Franchised Business without being guilty of trespass or any other tort for the purpose of making or causing to be made such changes as may be required, at the expense of the Franchisee, which expense the Franchisee agrees to pay upon demand.
G. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall immediately deliver to the Franchisor or the Franchisor's designee all Manuals, customer lists and customer databases, records, files, correspondence, brochures, and all other materials relating to the operation of the Franchised Business. The Franchisee shall not retain any copies of the material delivered to the Franchisor except for financial records required by law, correspondence between the parties and any other documents which the Franchisee reasonably needs for compliance with any provision of law. In addition to the foregoing, the Franchisee shall deliver to the Franchisor a complete list of all persons employed by the Franchisee during the three (3) years immediately preceding termination, together with all employment files of each employee. The cost of delivering the materials as required by this paragraph shall be borne by the Franchisee.
H. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, the Franchisee shall promptly notify
the appropriate telephone company and all telephone directory listing agencies of the termination or expiration of the Franchisee's right to use any telephone number and any regular, classified or other telephone directory listings associated with the Proprietary Marks. The Franchisee shall authorize the transfer of all telephone numbers associated with the Proprietary Marks to the Franchisor or the Franchisor's designee. The Franchisee agrees to execute updated letters of direction to any telephone companies and telephone directory listing agencies that enforce the Franchisor's right to telephone numbers under this paragraph. The Franchisee acknowledges that as between the Franchisor and the Franchisee, the Franchisor has the sole right to and interest in all telephone numbers and directory listings associated with any Proprietary Marks. The Franchisee authorizes the Franchisor, and hereby appoints the Franchisor or any officer of the Franchisor as its attorney in fact, and coupled with an interest, to direct the appropriate telephone company and all listing agencies to transfer all applicable telephone numbers and telephone listings to the Franchisor upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement.
The original documents were scanned as an image. The original file can be downloaded at the link above.